Woodwind Quintet Fellowship
The Woodwind Quintet Fellowship is available for Fall 2019. All prospective students interested in being considered for the woodwind quintet fellowship must apply as an individual to a degree program (MM or DMA), and also submit the requirements listed below in order to be considered for the live audition for the woodwind quintet fellowship.
If you are selected for a live audition, you MUST be available for a live audition on Saturday, February 9, 2019. There will be no alternate days, or opportunities to audition via recording.
1. Preformed-group – If you are a member of a pre-formed group, please provide the names and instruments of each member in your group in the requested field on the music application. All members must submit their own individual applications and the individual prescreen requirements. Only one member of the group must upload the group prescreen recording to be considered for the live audition for the Woodwind Quintet Fellowship.
2. Individual – Please submit a recording with your music application online following the prescreen requirements below for the woodwind quintet fellowship.
WWQ Prescreen Requirements for someone applying as an Individual
- Please submit a video recording of you playing the individual requirements listed for your instrument below.
Flute – Same as the regular pre-screen requirements; the total length of the recording should be at least 10 minutes
- 2 contrasting pieces; one piece can be an etude, but the two pieces should be by different composers (so not two movements of the same work)
3 orchestral excerpts chosen from the following list
- Beethoven Leonore Overture No. 3 (mm.328-360)
- Bizet Carmen Suite No. 1 (Entr’acte mm. 1-23)
- Brahms Symphony No. 4 (IV. Mm. 93-105)
- Debussy Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun (mm. 1-4 & Reh. 2 ro Reh. 3)
- Mendelssohn Midsummer Night’s Dream (Scherzo: 1 mm. before Reh. P to the end)
- Prokofiev Peter and the Wolf (Reh. 2 to Reh. 4)
- Ravel Daphnis and Chloe, Suite No. 2 (3 after Reh. 176 to 2 after Reh. 179)
- Exposition of the Mozart Oboe Concerto
- Opening movement solo from Tombeau de Couperin by Maurice Ravel
- Solo from Mvt. 2 of Symphony No. 4 by P.I. Tchaikovsky
- Solo from La Scala di Seta by Gioachino Rossini
Clarinet – Same as the regular pre-screen requirements:
i. One solo of your choice
ii. Mendelssohn - Scherzo excerpt
iii. Rimsky-Korsakov – Capriccio Espagnol excerpt
- First movement of the Mozart, Weber, Jolivet or Hummel Concerto
- The Marriage of Figaro, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, mm. 139-171
- Symphony No. 4, by P.I. Tchaikovsky, mm. 274 to the end
- Bolero, Ravel Reh 2 to Reh 3
i. Concerto No. 2, R. Strauss, 1st movement (1st page only)
ii. Concerto in D, Georg Philipp Telemann, 2nd movement
iii. Brandenburg Concerto No. 1, J.S. Bacj, Horn 1, Trio only with repeats
iv. Symphony No. 5, Dmitri Shostakovich, Low Horn Tutti
- Symphony No. 4, Anton Bruckner, Horn 1, 1st movement, opening to letter A
- Please submit a video recording of a chamber music performance that you feel is representative of your chamber music skills. A recording of a live chamber music performance is preferred, but we will accept unedited (non-rehearsal) recordings of chamber works. For individuals applying for the fellowship, any chamber group recording will be accepted, though a woodwind quintet recording is preferred.