The Voice/Opera Division of the UMD School of Music offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral programs taught by a distinguished faculty of internationally recognized artists and scholars. The faculty comprises active performers, clinicians, and specialists, as well as veterans of the world's finest opera companies and concert halls.
With diverse backgrounds and a shared commitment to collaboration, the Voice/Opera faculty promote a culture of excellence and peer support throughout the division. Students and faculty regularly come together for divisional recitals, master classes, and special events.
The Voice/Opera Division is home to outstanding choral ensembles that meet the curricular needs of voice students while providing performance opportunities to non-majors. The division's graduate program in opera performance is also known as the Maryland Opera Studio.
Voice/OperaDiba Alvi, SopranoCarmen A. Balthrop, Soprano - Coordinator of Voice/OperaCraig Kier, Director, Maryland Opera StudioJustina Lee, CoachingLinda Mabbs, SopranoEdward Maclary, Director of Choral Activities, Choral ConductingR. Timothy McReynolds, CoachingMartha Lee Randall, Soprano & PedagogyKevin Short, Bass-baritoneGran Wilson, Tenor & Lyric French DictionDelores Ziegler, Mezzo-soprano
Undergraduate programs in voice offer the choice of a concentrated vocal performance track or a broader liberal arts degree, often used by double-majors. For aspiring K-12 teachers, a bachelor's degree in choral education is offered (through the Music Education Division). At the graduate level, degrees in Vocal Performance focus on Lieder and vocal orchestral literature, while degrees in Opera Performance are devoted to operatic training. A third doctoral-level option, Vocal Pedagogy, emphasizes the training of advanced studio teachers and vocal coaches.
All courses of study include comprehensive classes in repertory, form, theory and history as well as specific concentrations in the performance, literature or pedagogical aspects of the degree program. Each student also receives weekly individual vocal instruction from a member of the Voice/Opera faculty.
- Bachelor of Arts, Voice Emphasis
- Bachelor of Music, Vocal Performance
- Bachelor of Music Education, Choral
- Master of Music, Vocal Opera Performance
- Master of Music, Vocal Performance
- Doctor of Musical Arts, Vocal Opera Performance
- Doctor of Musical Arts, Vocal Performance
- Doctor of Musical Arts, Vocal Pedagogy
Maryland Opera Studio both a performance ensemble and a degree-program, leading to the Master's in Opera Performance. For complete details, visit the Maryland Opera Studio homepage.
UMD Opera Workshop an undergraduate class of singers learning the basics of opera and preparing staged scenes
- UMD Chamber Singers the School of Music's most select choral ensemble specializing in music from Renaissance, Baroque, and contemporary eras
- University Chorale a mid-size ensemble of 60 voices singing music from all periods
- UMD Women's Chorus a select ensemble performing the great literature for women's voices
- UMD Men's Chorus the popular ensemble for men's voices; repertoire spans classical to contemporary
- UMD Opera Chorus offered in those semesters when an opera production requires a substantial chorus
- UMD Concert Choir the symphonic choir of the School of Music
- UMD Summer Chorus a non-credit, 3-week ensemble comprising adults, college students, and advanced high school students