General Advising/Registration Policies & Procedures
All students accepted into a degree program in the UMD School of Music are assigned a faculty advisor based on their major degree program. It is the School's policy that an advising session with a Music advisor is mandatory before registering for each semester.
Music students can expect a School of Music advisor to:
- Have accurate updated information on curriculum and programs
- Be knowledgeable of career opportunities
- Be reasonably available
- Give appropriate advice with both the student's goals and abilities in mind
The School of Music advisor can expect a Music student to:
- Assume ultimate responsibility for decisions regarding his/her education and responsibility for follow-through after an advising session
- Schedule advising appointments in advance of deadlines
- Be prepared prior to an advising session with goals and questions in mind
- Bring appropriate materials to the advising session
Each semester, during the pre-registration period, students must obtain a Schedule Request Form and a Schedule of Classes and bring these materials to the advising appointment with the assigned faculty advisor. Once the student and advisor have determined the proper courses for the semester, the faculty advisor must sign the completed Schedule Request Form. The completed and signed form should then be taken to the Office of the School of Music for the necessary approvals. At that time, the student has satisfied all the necessary registration blocks of the School of Music. Undergraduates should also consult with his/her college advising office about any other registration blocks. Once all registration blocks are satisfied, the student may register by internet (TESTUDO) or in-person (at the Mitchell Building).
Advising for Undergraduate Music Students
Undergraduate music students have "dyad" track advising. This means that you have two advisors: a) your music advisor advises you on music requirements and b) your College of Arts and Humanities advisor advises you on CORE and ARHU requirements. To consult with an Arts and Humanities advisor, call 301-405-2108 or visit the ARHU website.
The advisor for undergraduate music students (BM, BA and Minors) is Heather Mundwiler. You may schedule an advising appointment at any time by clicking here. She can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 301 405-5563.
BME Music Education students are advised by the following advisors:
Advising for Graduate Music Students
The following policies regulate the advising process for Graduate Music Students:
- The Division Chair, or a faculty member designated by the Division Chair, initially advises every new graduate student.
- Before the end of the first year, a student must select an advisor who is a member of his/her Division and is a tenured or tenure-track member of the faculty. After securing the consent of the selected faculty member, the selection has to be signed by the Division Chair and the student must submit in writing the advisor's name to the Graduate Director. A student who wishes to change advisors must request the change in writing. The request must then be co-signed by the Division Chair and submitted to the Graduate Director.
- The advisor's signature is necessary on all student communication with the UM School of Music as well as the University of Maryland Graduate Studies Office.
- Students must be advised each semester and must have a completed registration form signed by the advisor before registering for the next semester.